What is the process of Performance Appraisal?Posted in Performance Planning and Potential Appraisal | Email This Post
Performance appraisal process has the following steps:
1. The first step in the process is the establishment of performance standards against which the output can be measured.
2. These standards are them communicated the employees as well as to the evaluators. This step helps the employees know what is expected from them and the feedback from the employees can be used for making any require changes in these standards.
3. The next step is to measure the actual performance against these standards a suitable technique for measurement is selected and the internal and external factors that influence the performance are also identified. Information on results is gathered and four sources are most commonly used to measure the actual performance. These are personal observations, Oral reports, written reports and statistical reports.
4. The results of the appraisal are then shared with the employee so that he become aware of the deviation in performance and can also identify and analyze the cause behind this deviation. This help and employee in identifying his strengths and weaknesses and improve future performance.
5. Corrective actions is then undertaken to improve the performance of the employees the common tools for corrective action are coaching, counseling and training.